My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

woes about moles

 
I am blonde and blue eyed with fair skin.  For the most part, I am just fine with that...until it come to moles.  Oh the joys of moles.  Lucky for me and my genetics, I have a bunch of them.  And because of my fair skin, and my zillions of sunburns (
which I honestly do try to prevent) , I have had several moles and marks removed that COULD be cancerous.  None of which have been malignant, thank goodness!
 
A couple months ago though, I got this crazy, nasty, lumpy, disgusting, black mark on my leg, about the size of a pencil eraser. 
 
It started out as a tiny purple dot, and in two weeks, it had quadrupled in size and turned black, lumpy and raised.
 
I went straight to the dermatologist, where he said it was most likely one of two things.  Skin cancer, or this crazy blood vessel mutation thing. 
 
He then told me that he needed to get a really deep and wide sample of the growth to send in to the lab.  He wasn't kidding.
 
This is about the size of a silver dollar, and so deep he dug into my muscle.

It took almost 3 weeks to heal up enough to stop bleeding all the time.  It was nuts.


After he dug to China in my leg, he sent the "sample" in to the lab, and I got to wait 10 days.

It was a LONG 10 days. 

Lucky for me, it came back benign, and I didn't have to have further surgery in my lymph nodes and in my leg to check for spreading melanoma.

It was a close call, and a good little slap in the face that our health is never a for sure thing.

One mole/mark down....about 100 to go.

Rock on.

 

No comments: