My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Monday, April 25, 2016

mri results

I got my MRI results back a while ago, but I have not had time to post about it.

The results were very bitter sweet.

The MRI confirmed a labrum tear.  argh!!!

That is the bad news.  It is actually really bad news.  As I mentioned before, the labrum cannot heal itself, there is not enough blood supply to it.  The only way to heal a labrum tear is with surgery. (6-9 month recovery time)

The semi-good news is that I don't need surgery right away, as long as I can deal with the pain.

With physical therapy here and there, lots and lots of stretching, and not pushing past pain, I can go for a very long time without surgery.

I am in a good groove right now with my workouts.  I run 3 times a week, and cross train in between.  So far, that is keeping the pain under control, and still allowing me to do what I love.

As long as I can continue this routine without worsening the pain, I am good to go.

Once I start having more and more pain, without changing anything, it will be time for surgery.

The stinky part, is that I was looking forward to a summer full of  1/2 marathons. Now, it looks like I will be lucky to do one in the fall.  That is a big bummer for me.

They gave me a cortisone shot to help with the pain, but unfortunately, it has been two weeks, and I am pretty sure it didn't work.  The odds of it working weren't great anyway.

So, here I am.  I just do what I can, and let pain be my guide.  When my leg really starts to hurt, I back off.  When it doesn't hurt, I run.

Not the greatest news, but at least I can put off surgery for now.

So there is it.  Good ol' labrum tear.  boo.

No comments: