My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

keep on keeping on

I have put off posting about my leg, because I am sick of posting about running injuries, and I am just trying to deal with the most recent one the best I can.

On Friday, while I was doing my favorite workout (interval training with sprints), with a good friend of mine, my leg went numb, and then about 10 seconds later, I felt horrific pain.

I hopped off the treadmill, and limped/hopped my way straight down to the physical therapy office, which luckily, is located in our gym.

I was in a ton of pain, and I was extremely upset.  I am just plain sick and tired of injuries.  I knew this one was a bad one, and it is.

I have been to physical therapy three times since Friday. Yesterday, with me being on narcotics,  they were finally able to feel around enough without me freaking out in pain, and they finally found a diagnosis that they all feel is right on.

They think I have an avulsion fracture.

It is basically where a muscle is torn, in my case, the psoas muscle which hooks into the hip.  When I tore part of the muscle from the bone, it took a small chunk of bone with it.

And yes, it is exactly as painful as it sounds.


This is a picture of an avulsion fracture to the hip.  Mine is a different muscle, but it is the same idea, and in the same general area, just a little higher.

This is definitely one of the most, if not the most, painful injury I have ever had.  Even with narcotics, I haven't been able to sleep through the night since Friday.  I am in constant pain, and it is miserable.  Any time I have to lift my leg (even to go from the gas pedal to the break), I feel like someone is stabbing my hip with knives.

On the up side, this type of injury does not require surgery, and believe it or not, within 8-10 days from the injury, I will be able to do some very light elliptical, depending on my pain level.

I am done running for at least 3 weeks, and that is being optimistic.  That has been extremely hard for me to mentally handle, but at the same time, I have been in so much pain, that running hasn't even sounded fun.

So, here I am again. 

I know that running as much as I do, will eventually create some injuries, and I am willing to accept that.  It doesn't mean that it doesn't completely suck every single time something happens though.

I guess all I can do it let time slowly pass, let my leg slowly heal, and keep on keeping on.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh no! That's horrible! I'm so sorry!