My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, August 28, 2014

and he's off

Today is William's first day of preschool!   He did preschool last year, so technically, it's not his very first day of preschool, but he is at a new school, he is riding the bus, and it is 4 days a week. 
It is all very new for him, and for me. 

William gets to go to preschool at Heber Valley Elementary, where Mary and Sam are as well.  He is in the duel immersion, Spanish speaking class.  I can't wait to hear him speaking a little Spanish as the year goes on.

We went to back to school night for him last night, and he seemed to like his classroom.  He has a really hard time with any kind of change or new things (wonder where he gets that from?), so he would not interact with his teachers or really talk to us. We figured it was his little defense mechanism.   He did play with the toys though, and looked around the room, and seemed to be happy.  On the way out the door, I asked him if he was excited to be in that classroom, have fun toys, snack time, be in the same place as Mary and Sam, and to ride the bus.  He just smiled and put his arms in the air, and said, "I am happy for everything!"  My heart soared, and I prayed that this attitude would stay.

This morning, in preparation for preschool starting today, we went out and got some new pants for him to wear.  I bought him some yesterday, but as soon as we got home, and he tried them on, he didn't like them.  No surprise.

 He only wears his green shorts, and has been doing that for about a year and a half, so this was is a big, big deal.

I let him pick out some pants he said he liked, and crossed my fingers. 

After we got pants, he and Luke also got haircuts.  They look so cute!

After shopping, William came home, ate some toast (his favorite food) for lunch, and it was time to go to the bus stop.

William kept on putting on different pants every 5 minutes, and could not decide which ones he wanted to wear.  We literally almost missed the bus, because he kept on changing pants.  Nothing compares to his green shorts in his mind, but thankfully he did finally settle on a pair...that did not match whatsoever, but hey, at this point, I was just thrilled to have those green shorts peeled off of him.

He started off in jeans (he picked them because they had an orange belt...his favorite color).


Luke really wanted to be a part of it all, and William was good to include him.
And he ended up in blue warm up pants with white stripes.

More than anything, William has been so excited to ride the bus!  He has been talking about it for months.  He was really happy walking to the bus stop, and only seemed nervous when he realized that he would be riding the bus with 5 girls!  No boys at all.  The girls are all in our ward, so at least he knows them. He quickly got over it, and joined in the game of red rover while waiting for the bus.

When the bus pulled up, I scooped up Luke, grabbed Williams hand, and we walked over to the bus door.  William marched right up into the bus, and then I saw his face start to crumble, and his bottom lip poked out, and my heart sank.  I absolutely could not leave him with his big lip out and trembling.  I quickly got on the bus, and asked him if he was OK.  He just looked around and said he didn't know where to sit.

The poor kid just wanted to have a seat.  Thankfully, there is an aid on the bus that helps them get a seat, and buckles the preschoolers in.  Once he was all settled in his seat, he was smiling again, and I was able to force myself off the bus, where Luke and I waved and waved and waved, and William waved back.  We continued to wave long after the bus was gone.

 Thankfully, he will ride the bus home with Mary and Sam, and Mary will be sitting right by him.  That is comforting.

I think I would have worried and stressed a lot more, but Luke ended up throwing a fit the entire walk back home.  I am sure we were quite the site.  Me, with my pregnant belly, pushing an empty stroller in one hand, and a thrashing toddler in the other.

Luke  caught me by surprise this school year.  I was sure that William would be the sad one with Mary and Sam going back to school, but Luke has been the one who has literally bawled every single morning they walk out the door.  It was no different with William this afternoon.  The poor kid!  It is heartbreaking.  I am sure he will soon realize the perks that come with having mom to yourself for an afternoon, and all will be well.

And here we are.  Luke is finally asleep, and here I sit, not knowing what on earth to do with time to myself. I have a lump in my throat, not out of sadness, but because I just worry about my William buddy and all of the new things he will be facing this afternoon.  I wish I could just follow him around and give him hugs, and squish his squishy body throughout the school day, to reassure him that all is well.  I REALLY hope his teacher is doing that for me.  I pray that he will have a good experience today, and that he will willingly go back tomorrow.  We will see.

As for me, well, I am going to try to enjoy the next week or so, before the baby comes.  It will be my tiny blip of time in the afternoon, where Luke will be sleeping, and everyone will be at school.  My couple hours to myself!  I honestly have no idea what to do.  I am just not used to this at all.

Happy first day William. I have a big container of "poky donuts" waiting on the counter, for when you get home.

 Love you Babo!



No comments: