My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, January 2, 2014

the trip - part 2, and New Years

After we left Boise, we drove to Pocatello to spend a few days with my family.

My parents and my sister were the only one's there, but we still had a great time together, and the calmness was nice.

We literally just chilled the first day.  The kids watched movies, I stayed in my PJ's until way past noon, we read books, played games, did puzzles, played the piano, and talked and just hung out.  It was very needed and so nice.  My mom made pancakes with this amazing caramel syrup.  It was pretty amazing.

The next day we took the kids to the mall to get their wiggles out, and me, my mom, and my sister went to Verizon to switch our phones around.

Kelsey was getting a new phone, my mom was getting her old phone, and I was getting my moms.  Mary came along, and ended up getting my phone (but it is not hooked up, she just likes to play the games on it and carry it around).  My mom even let Mary pick out a case for "her phone."  The phone has not left Mary's sight sense. 

Kelsey's boyfriend came that evening, and the kids had fun jumping all over him and breaking him in to life with kids.  We also played A LOT of Super Mario on the Wii.

It was New Years Eve, so we ordered pizza, and pulled out Guitar Hero on the Wii.  We blasted the music and jammed out until it was time for the traditional tree burning.

This has always been my favorite New Year's Eve tradition, and this year was by far the best!  My dad doused the tree with gasoline, and as the clock struck 12, we shot roman candles and bottle rockets at it. 

The fireworks were awesome, but the tree didn't light, so my dad did the coolest thing ever!  He poured a trail of gasoline from the tree over to where we were, and then he lit the match.  I almost burst from the inside out with excitement as the "trail of fire" flew across the lawn, over to the tree, and then the tree exploded into one of the most brilliant balls of fire I have ever seen.  The ashes danced in the night sky above it.  It was seriously so amazing!  And yes, I may be a slight pyro.  If you didn't already know that, you don't know me.


Sam was thrilled that he stayed awake until "tomorrow", but immediately fell asleep once we went back inside.  Mary was still going strong, and we didn't go to bed until the wee hours of the morning.  It was a great New Years!  I don't think I have celebrated a New Years with Ben in the 10 years that we have been married.  He just isn't a night owl.  And William and Luke were snug in bed as well.

The next day we hung out and talked for a while, and then headed home.

For me, the trip was great.  It was nice to be with my sister and my parents and to talk with them and feel the warmth of family and unity.  It was relaxing for all of us, and my kids and Ben also had a good time.

All in all, we had a great trip visiting our families, and I know, for my children, it is the stuff memories are made of.






1 comment:

Lisa said...

So, the tree looks awesome and for some reason it brought back a memory of burning marshmallows at college...like on fire. Was that with you? I remember it like it was with you! Lots of good memories!