My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Preschool Graduation...Sammy Style

If there is one thing I have learned from my children, it is to let things be. Sure, it would be great to always have the kid that loves to perform and will readily do whatever you want them to in front of a crowd, but I have learned not to sweat it if they don't.

I am a grown adult, and I still get very uncomfortable being the center of attention or performing. So how can I blame my kids for not enjoying it either.

Sam had preschool graduation this week. They had a cute little program all set up with songs and small parts for each kid.
 




Here is Sam's chair.
 



Here is Sam.
 


At first I was upset that Sam wouldn't participate, but then I realized that we were really celebrating that he did so well in preschool, not that he can sing a song in front of the parents. 
I thought about how much he grew this year during preschool...from not wanting to go, not participating, and crying, to hopping in the car and even carpooling to preschool. He learned things, made friends, and participated. He ended up having a great year.

For my soft -hearted, all boy, sweet Sammy, it was awesome! I am very proud of him.
 



 So, even if preschool graduations, school programs, and even some sports games are spent with Sammy on the sidelines, I have learned to not sweat it, because for him, just being there is enough.  He has his own timeline, and if I don't push it, I always end up learning that his time is way better than mine, and he does great with whatever it is, when he decides he is ready.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Good for you for remembering to focus on what he had accomplished and not what he hadn't! That's a good reminder for me too.

Darci and Ryan said...

You're such a good Mom! Sometimes I have to remember that's it's ok for them not to be like all the other kids. ;-) Sometimes I am glad they're not! LOL! So fun to catch up, looks like you guys are doing great.

Colleen said...

Luke never likes to be in front of a crowd either. This Mother's Day was the first time he EVER went up to the front to sing with the Primary. Sing he did not, but he was there! And that was the victory, just as you are saying. Great job, Sam!