My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Monday, July 20, 2015

4th of july shenanigans

A few days after Ben's bike race, we packed up and headed to Pocatello to celebrate the 4th of July.

The kids and I were really excited, because celebrating the 4th of July in Pocatello at grandma and grandpa's house is the best!  It was my favorite Holiday (aside from Christmas) growing up.  So many awesome traditions, and so patriotic.

Molly was in the middle of her 7th ear infection, so we were worried about her, but she did really well considering.

We arrived late Thursday night, after a full day at 7 Peaks for me and the kids.  We crashed in grandma's nice cool, dark basement, and woke up ready to play.

I decided to use my shopping money from my Birthday and hit up some stores in Pocatello.  Mary came with me, and we had a really fun shopping day together.  I FINALLY got some clothes that I like and that fit me.  It has been a long time since I have been shopping for normal size clothes for myself.  I have been pregnant, or had a post pregnant body for almost 10 years now.  I came home grinning from ear to ear.  Mary got some cute things as well.

The second half of the day, we went boating!!!  The water was too rough for waterskiing, but the kids had a blast going on the tube.  Mary and Sam were way more brave, and loved going fast and hitting some pretty big waves.  Even William and Luke got in the tube. Molly enjoyed the boat ride, and didn't scream at all with her infected ears.  She is such a trooper.  It was a lot of fun.

That evening we had pizza and just hung out.

The next morning, I woke up early and ran the canal.  It felt like I was with an old friend again.  I have put thousands of miles on that canal, and I love the feeling I have being up there in the peace of the early morning, with the fields, the water, and all of the familiar sounds, sights and smells of my childhood.

My heart was very heavy coming in to this trip, and I was struggling with some pretty serious things.  It was so healing and uplifting to be up there, running, and feeling so vividly all of the comforts, memories and joys of my childhood and my home.  It just reminded me of how good life is, how good God is, and how blessed I am.  I was very grateful for that run, it was so needed.  I sure did miss my running buddy Tess though.  I hope she was there running next to me in spirit.  Dogs really are man's best friend.


 
When I turned on to my street at the end of the run, it was lined with flags that the youth put up every year.  I was caught with some emotion as I thought about this country and all that it stands for.
 
When I got home, Molly, Luke and I headed over to the church for the annual 4th of July breakfast the 7th ward has put on every year since I can remember.  Everyone else was still sleeping. This breakfast is something that my dad and brothers talk about and wait for every year.  It really is THAT good.
 
After the breakfast, we headed home and took some fun pictures.  My heart was full as I though about this country we live in.  I also felt pretty concerned for our country as well.  Same sex marriage was just approved for all 50 states a week earlier, and the impact of it was pretty interesting.  The fight between religion, country and the laws of the land is becoming more and more heated. More and more people are speaking out, picking sides and becoming extremely opinionated.  It worries me a lot, but I trust that the Lord will keep his hand over this promised land.  I just pray that my children will be strong enough to fight the battles that are sure to keep coming.




 
 
William came marching outside in his "outfit" and insisted on a photo shoot of his own.  I love it!



 
The original plan was to stay at my parents house and play in the yard until the firework show, but we all had the boating bug in us, so we headed back out on the boat again.  Ben and Molly stayed home this time.
 
We went to the Idaho Falls River, which was FREEZING, but that didn't stop us.
After a few tries, Mary got up on skis!!!!
 
She did it a couple times, and now has it down.  I was in the water helping her get up, so once she got up, I got to float around the river holding up a flag until she was done, and they came to pick me up.
Go Mary Go!
 
I got to do a ski run myself, and it was awesome!  So much fun.
 
Sam is determined to try it later this summer, or next year.  It will be great to have some waterskiers in our own family!  The tradition lives on! Now we just need a boat...
 
After boating, it was off to the firework show.
I was worried about Molly, and all of the noise, but she did great.  The show was probably the best one I have ever seen.  I love it when they do patriotic music with the show.  My heart was more full than ever with love for my country, and also some concern about it's future and the children of it's future.
 
After the city fireworks, it was my turn...Bahahaha
 
It was a BLAST!  (yes, pun was intended)
aagghhhh, there is something so incredibly fun about fire and fireworks.  It brings out the pyro in us all.
the next morning.
We left the next morning.  I was able to have some really good talks with my parents, and also receive a father's blessing from my dad.  It was very healing to be home, and to feel the love and concern of my parents.  I had some things that I really needed to talk about and work through, and it was just so nice to be home and to be feeling the comfort of my parents and my surroundings.
 
We got home Sunday night, and unpacked.  We had one day to unpack, re-pack, and get the house in order, before we were headed off to California!!!
 
4th of July proved itself once again to be an amazing holiday!  God bless the U.S.A.

No comments: