My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

laughter, the best medicine???

Last week got a little crazy.

Molly is teething, and also has some weird stomach bug, along with a nasty cold and a possible ear infection. 


She was hardly sleeping, and was crying all. day. long.

 We were all a little frazzled.

We were on day 3 of this, and I was ready to rip my hair out one afternoon, when she pooped up to her neck for the 4th time that day.

As I was changing Molly in our room, I thought that Luke was playing with his toys out in the family room.  I was surprised at how quiet he was being, and thinking about how all of this crying from Molly was probably driving him nuts too.

Little did I know.

When I came out of our room, with a screaming Molly, I saw quickly Luke freeze in place.  He was standing next to the couch and the window with a ballpoint black pen in his hands.  It looked like he had been drawing on the blinds.

I quickly ran over to the window, and did a huge sigh of relief when I didn't see any black ink on the blinds or window trim.

And then I glanced down at the couch.

left couch cushion


right couch cushion

I wish these pictures showed just how bad it was.  It was REALLY bad.

I honestly just stared, and my jaw literally dropped.  I didn't even know my mouth was hanging open until Molly stuffed her snot covered hand into it.  Nice.

I was completely speechless as I turned toward Luke.  I turned around, but Luke was no longer frozen by the window.

I found him here.
If I can't see her, she can't see me.

I think I was just beyond frazzled and upset, but for whatever reason, I just burst out laughing, and I could not stop.  Every once in a while, Luke would pop his head out and look at me, but he did not join in the laughter.  He knows the difference between my "this is funny" laugh, and my "I am a crazy creepy carnival clown and possibly going to go clinically insane" laugh.  He just continued to hide and pretend he wasn't there. Smart boy.

Luckily, lots and lots of hairspray and magic erase sponges later, the ink marks are mostly gone, or at least hard to see.

Once I regained my composure and frustration, I crawled under the pillow with Luke, and talked to him about using a pen on paper only, and with an adult.  I also had him help me try to clean it up.

He still never said a word, or changed his facial expression, but he nodded slowly in agreement as we talked and cleaned.  He was thoroughly freaked out.

People always say that it is good to laugh things off.  I always thought that it meant to just take things lightly.  Really though, it is a great way to completely freak your kids out by watching you lose your mind, and scare the heck of them into not doing something anymore.

Either way...laughter was the best medicine this time around.

Luke has not touched a pen since.

Geesh.



No comments: