My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, September 11, 2014

dear sweet carbalicious breakfast...and a funny story

This is my breakfast this morning!

2 whole grain gluten free pancakes, smothered in some crazy good fruit spread and syrup.
One whole grain gluten whatever blueberry muffin. 
One crazy good zuchinni carrot random grain something muffin.
(can you tell the hospital is in Park City yet)
A fruit berry smoothie with some random kind of herb or grass or something in it.
And the best dang yogurt, berry, granola, fruit parfait I have ever had in my entire life!

I had the same thing yesterday morning, and seriously grinned from ear to ear with every single bite.  Two days ago, I would not have been able to eat any of these things.

I don't care about all the gluten, grain, kale, whatever that this stuff is full of.  I am glad it is healthy though.  I am just beyond thrilled to be able to eat any of these things, and it all tastes so flippin' good!

Heaven I tell ya, heaven.

And now for a little story:

My first night here, a piece of carrot cake was brought to my room, along with my dinner.  I was so exhausted when I ate dinner, that I really didn't care what it was, I just ate.  But the carrot cake got my attention.  It was amazingly good!  I pounded it down way too fast, and then was sad that I didn't have more.  I promised myself that I would order it the next day with my lunch.  So I did, and it was just as great as it was the night before.  Carrot cake...who would have thought?

So, I decided to order it for dinner too.  Can you tell I have been starved for sweet things for the past 5 months?  This time I decided to be sneaky and try to get 2 pieces brought up here.

I was too embarrassed to ask for two pieces, so I told the sweet Mexican lady on the phone that I had a visitor, so I needed an extra piece of carrot cake.  She told me that if both pieces were for just me, then it would be free, but since the second piece was for someone else, they needed to come pay for it. 

Normally, I would just say never mind, and settle for one piece, in order to spare myself more embarrassment.  But the cake is just way too good, and I am still so starved for sweet foods, that I did something completely out of character for me. 

I said, "you know what, there really is no one here.  I just love that cake so much, and really wanted an extra piece, but I was too embarrassed to ask."

There was silence for a few seconds on the line, and then this sweet lady just burst out laughing.  She laughed and laughed and laughed.  I was so embarrassed, but would chuckle every few seconds really awkwardly.  She continued to laugh even harder.  She thought it was absolutely hilarious and so amusing.

She then said, in her crazy thick Spanish accent, "I bring this to you myself.  You really funny.  I bring this myself."

I just groaned inwardly, said thanks, and hung up the phone.

Sure enough, 25 minutes later, I heard giggling from down the hall.  I knew it was the lady bringing my food...and cake.
There was a knock on my door a few seconds later, and more giggling.  The little Mexican lady, shuffled into my room with my dinner tray, and then, while giggling even more, held up two plates with a slice of carrot cake on each, and made a display of setting them in front of me.  She just laughed and laughed, and patted me on the shoulder...

then she left.

The cake was amazing!

The end.
 

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Lol, so funny! :-) carrot cake is one of my favorites.

Deanna said...

that is HILARIOUS!!!!! So...are you having baby?!

parkhurstparty.blogspot.com said...

You crack me up!

Gina said...

That is so funny Becky! I'm glad you didn't back down! If I was closer I'd come bring you a whole carrot cake!