My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Saturday, June 29, 2013

unplugged

Heber is doing the COOLEST thing this summer.  It is called Heber Unplugged.

The kids came home from the last day of school with these necklace/keychain things, and paper describing a summer program they can do.  I glanced at it, thought it looked a little confusing, and set it aside.

I didn't really look into it until a few weeks later, and I am so glad I did!  It has been awesome, and has helped me some much on my new mission to spend more time with my kids having fun, and to savor the moments.

There is a list of 101 things for kids and families to do in and around Heber.  For instance:  feed the ducks at this gorgeous park in Midway, wash the car, go camping, go swimming, make smores, have a lemonade stand, go miniature golfing, and so on.

Each time the kids do an activity, they get a "brag tag" to hand on their necklace.  William even got one too! For each brag tag they get, they get points.  Every 5 points puts your name in a drawing where you can win $100.  They draw every week.

The idea is to get kids and families out more, and not so "plugged in" all summer.  It is AWESOME!!!

I honestly think that the person who came up with this was absolutely inspired from a loving Father in Heaven.  It has made a big difference for my little nest anyway.

The more "tag" events we do, the more I realize how much fun it is to be with my children, and my family just doing the simple fun things.  Just the other day, we were all slugging around from the heat and not too happy around here.  I decided to look on that list of tag ideas, and saw "feed the ducks."

I decided to go for it, and we had so much fun!  It was hot, but the park was gorgeous, and the kids had a great time.  Most importantly, we had a great time together, just us.  Just me and my babies.  I tickled Luke and watched his adorable round eyes light up.  I watched the determination on Sam's face, and his little tongue stick out in concentration, as he sprinted across the grass to show me how fast he could go. I watched Mary's scientific mind at work as we walked through the visitors center and looked at animal skulls and Indian artifacts.  I watched William, with his big round cheeks chubby dimpled fingers point to the stuffed animals and holler out of complete awe.







Mary found a dead fish, and loved it.  My little scientific girl.

We stopped at the gas station afterwards for slushies.  Of course, one of my flock spilled their red one all over the floor, and not one of them had shoes on.  We were dirty, loud and silly, but we were happy, my kids were smiling, and for some reason, that is all that mattered to me.  The slushy on the floor could be cleaned and forgotten.  My children could not.

It was a moment I needed, and the kind of moment I am trying so hard to re-introduce into my life.  The moments where I really realize how much I deeply, truly, love my children and how much I love being a mother. 

So, thank you Heber Unplugged. 

I love this town.

No comments: