My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Sunday, May 5, 2013

guess who...

had her babies.  

Marsha! 

We had been commenting that very day about how poor Marsha looked like she was going to explode.  We decided to let her out of the cage to waddle around a little.  We also decided to let her "guy friends" join her.  We let them wander around for a while, and then as soon as the boys started harassing poor Marsha, we put them all back. 

About an hour later, Marsha started makes all sorts of noise.  I looked in the cage one minute, and there were no babies.  5 minutes later, I looked in the cage again, and there they were!  She had three little fuzzballs, but one did not make it.

 I tried to help it, but it just didn't survive.  I was a lot more sad than I thought I would be about it.  It broke my heart, to hold this tiny little furry ball, and watch it struggle. We buried it in a special place in the yard, where we will be planting a tree in the future.  Until then, thanks to the kids, it constantly has rocks and flowers around it.  :)

The two surviving babies are so so so cute!  We named the Alfalfa and Darla.  They came out with eyes open, walking, eating normal food and also nursing, as well as covered in tons of poofy fur!  They were nothing like the naked rats I thought they would look like.


They have become a neighborhood spectacle, and we constantly have kids coming in to hold them, feed them and look at them.  I am right in on it, begging for a turn to hold them myself.  :)

In a few weeks, we will have to find homes for some of our guinea pigs.  As cute as they are, we can't have 5 of them.  Nope.  We will cross that bridge when we get there, but for now, we are loving our cute little fur ball friends.  They really are so cute.

No comments: