My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, April 12, 2018

spring break 2018

This year for spring break, we decided to go on a trip.  Normally, we stay home, spring clean 1/2 the day, and then do something fun the other half of the day.  This year though, we were itching to do something bigger, and fun, at a new place.

Ben and I decided to plan a trip to San Diego.  Best decision ever!  We had so much fun.  I am so glad we decided to make this trip.

We left Tuesday morning, and drove ALL day.  I had been pretty sick the past few days, and as we drove, I was feeling worse by the hour.  The kids did fantastic in the car.  It was so great to have them all old enough to not have to worry about bottles, diapers and inconsolable babies crying.  It was a long drive, and they did so well.  It made me realize that bigger trips are becoming more and more doable.  That is a great feeling.

We got to the hotel pretty late, so we just crashed.  I was feeling terrible, like really, really terrible.

The next morning we woke up, ate breakfast, and headed to LEGOLAND.  I ended up dropping Ben and the kids off at LEGOLAND, and I went to the instacare that was conveniently across the street.  I was extremely sad to miss seeing the younger boys experience LEGOLAND.  It was something that Luke had been looking forward to so much, that he was sleeping with the LEGOLAND magazine under his pillow each night.  I wanted to badly to experience that with him, but I was very sick, and I knew that if I was going to be able to play with my family and have energy to keep up the rest of the week, I had to get some meds.  It's a good thing I did too.  I ended up testing positive for Influenza B.  Along with that I had a terrible sinus infection, bronchitis, and an ear infection.  Yes, I was very sick.  The doctor was awesome, and he knew that I was on a trip with my family, so he seriously hooked me up with the most powerful medications he could give me while keeping me conscious. haha!

This was my cocktail for the week.
 
After my doctor appointment, I went to the Costco next door and grabbed a pizza and snacks for my family, and then I picked them up from LEGOLAND.  Luke absolutely loved it, and told me that he wants to live there.  The other kids had a great time too.  It was really busy, because it was Spring Break in California, so 1/2 a day was plenty of time for my family to get a good look around, do a ride, and then be ready to move on to the next adventure. Unfortunately, no pictures were taken.  Actually, LOTS of pictures were taken, but none with any of my family members in them.  haha!  Mary and Sam took pictures of the scenery.  Oh well, at least they had a good time.

Everyone at pizza, and I took my meds on our way to the zoo.  By the time we got to the zoo, I was already perking up, and the kids were fed and ready for the next outing.
The San Diego Zoo was awesome!  We took a tour of the zoo on a bus first, so we could see everything.  The zoo is huge, so we wanted to get an idea of what they had, before we walked ourselves to death trying to get to everything.  The bus had seats on top, and the kids thought it was so cool to ride up on top.


After the bus ride, we went around and saw all of the kids favorite animals.  Molly has been wanting to see giraffes for a really long time.  It is her favorite animal.  She was so excited to finally see them!!  She talked to them, waved to them, and was so sad when it was time to go.  It was adorable!


Sam got to see all of the reptiles his heart desired, William got to see the tiger and the lion, Luke got to see the elephants, Mary was happy to see all of it, and I got to see the hippo!  I love hippos!  I think it ended up being one of Ben's favorites too.  We see so many more animals too.  It was such a great zoo.  We stayed all the way until closing time.  The weather was perfect too.  Not too hot, and not too cold. 





After the zoo, we headed back to the hotel.  The kids swam, and munched on some junk food that is a hotel must have, :), I took a serious dose of cough syrup with a narcotic in it, and we all had a fun time hanging out at the hotel.  It ended up being such a fun day.  The kids did really well too.  They walked and walked and walked.  Molly and Luke were rockstars and worked their little legs all day long.  It was so fun to hang out with my crew all day and have fun together.

The next morning we got up, ate, Ben and I worked out a little, (Yup, I made it to the gym after 5 days off from being so sick), and then we headed off to Knotts Berry Farm.  The drive was really long, and there was traffic, which was a bummer.  We had planned to spend the whole day there.  My family loves rollercoasters, and the place is huge, so we figured we could easily make a day of it.

The place was PACKED!  It seemed like everyone in California was there.  There were lines for everything, and the lines were ridiculously long.  We decided to divide and conquer.  Ben took Mary and Sam to the bigger rides, and I took the three little ones to the kid area.  We both ended up spending the next 90 minutes waiting in line for one ride.  It was terrible.  I waited in line for 45 minutes just to get the kids pretzels with cheese and a drink.  We waited in line for bathrooms.  We waited in lines for tickets.  We waited, and waited and waited.  The one ride I took the three kids on, they absolutely loved!  Molly and Luke laughed and laughed and laughed.  William liked it too, but he was ready for a bigger ride.  Mary and Sam did one ride as well.  After the rides, we met back up as a family, and decided to leave.  It would be another 2 hours waiting to do another ride, and the place was chaotic, loud, crazy and frustrating.  We were so bummed to have used up the 2nd day of our pass, driven so far and waited so long, but it just wasn't worth it.  It was discouraging, but we made the best of it.  We went back to the hotel and the kids had a great time swimming, watching shows, and we just hung out.  We were all exhausted anyway.

The next day we headed to Coronado Island to the beach.  It was amazing!  The Island, the beach, the views, the adorable houses, the cute shops, the whole thing.  It was the coolest beach town and beach I have ever been to.

We bought boogie boards, bought chicken and snacks, and parked ourselves on the beach.  The kids played and played and played.  Mary, Sam and William boogie boarded non stop.  Luke played in the water and dug around in the sand, and Molly did a little of everything.  It was perfect weather, and I just laid there on the beach, soaking in the sun, and loving it.  It was everyone's favorite part of the trip.  We stayed until dusk, then we shopped a little at the fun shops, let the kids collect sea shells, got ice cream, and called it a day.  We were all so sad to leave.  In fact, we loved it so much, that instead of heading home the next day, we decided to stay one more day, just so we could go back to that beach again.

It was that awesome.  We had a blast again the second day on Coronado Island as well.  The kids got fried crisp though, and this time, we were ready to go when the time came.


The seagulls there were crazy!  Molly was eating a bag of carrot sticks, and she walked just a few feet away.  A bird walked right up, grabbed the bag of carrots and tried to take off.  It ended up dropping the carrots all over the sand.
This infuriated Molly, and she just started bawling.  She was so upset!  hahaha!!  She could not understand why a seagull would take her food.  She ended up yelling at and chasing any bird that came near us after that.
Unfortunately, about 30 minutes later, another bird grabbed our bag of rolls and got away with it.  Argh!


The morning of our second beach day, I was still groggy from my meds, and I was walking in the hotel room to get something.  I walked right into the corner of a suitcase, and it split between my two toes.  I heard the snap of my pinky toe.  It dropped me to the floor for a while.  It KILLED!!  Go me.  I am pretty graceful on narcotics apparently. I was on a roll this trip.  Geesh!  Luckily, the pain was kept under control, due to my meds that I was on from already being sick.  It has been a week, and it still throbs most of the day, but hey, we still made it to the beach, and still had a great time....purple toe and all.





When they would catch a wave, they would just laugh and laugh and laugh.  It was so fun to see.










Luke gets cold really easily, and he hates it.  He got cold at the beach, so he dug a hole, got in, and buried himself with sand.  He sat like that for a really long time.  He said it was how he could stay warm.  :)
We headed back home the next morning.  It was a full day of driving, but again, the kids did great!  We got home exhausted, a little disoriented, but happy, content, and closer as a family.  It would say it was a best family trip to date. 
I hope there are many more to come.

No comments: