My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, September 14, 2017

small town america....nothing like it

 
 
My best friend, and next door neighbor, Karli, has a guy renting out her basement.  His name is Adam.
 
Adam's brother is a Green Beret Special Forces commander, and he has been serving in Afghanistan. About a month ago, Adam's brother was killed while going into a house that was booby-trapped.  It was devastating for Adam and his family.  It was in the news, and all of Utah was trying to help and support the family.
 
Adam keeps to himself here in Heber.  He is a nurse and works at two different hospitals.  He is a great guy.
 
Karli and I were talking one day at the gym about Adam, and Karli got the idea to post flags in our cul-de-sac, so that Adam could see them when he drove back to Heber after the funeral.
 
I got ahold of some flags, and we posted them up in our cul-de-sac. 
I had about 50 extra flags, so I decided to go out and post them along the main road in our neighborhood that leads up to our cul-de-sac.
 
This was no small job!!  The ground here is rock, and I had to pound in the rebar into the ground in order to keep the flags up.  It was hot, and after about 30 flags, I was ready to give up. 
 
At that moment, three truck loads of people showed up with even more flags!!!
 
They had heard about Adam and his brother being killed, and they wanted to help!
 
With their help, we posted over 200 flags throughout our neighborhood!
 
Unfortunately, Adam decided not to come home until the next day.
 
Flags have to be taking down at dusk.
 
So, we took all of the flags down that night, and decided to put them back up at dawn the next morning.
 
I got up early the next morning, and to my surprise, even more people and more flags were being posted.
 
Not only that, but I had tied yellow ribbons where I could, but I ran out.  People had bought yellow table cloths the night before, cut them up, and were now tying them everywhere!!!
 
It was an amazing sight!!
You could not drive through our neighborhood and keep a dry eye. 
 
The feeling in our neighborhood with flags and yellow ribbons everywhere was so humbling, to awesome, and such an amazing symbol of love, unity, community, patriotism, thankfulness and so much more.
 
The fire station got word of it, and they parked their fire truck in our cul-de-sac and hung a huge flag!
 
 
 

 

 


Luke


The police station also heard about it, and they were in Karli's/Adam's driveway when Adam pulled in.

When Adam drove up, he was crying.  He got out of his car and each police officer shook his hand.  There were neighbors and friends everywhere welcoming him home and letting him know he was not alone and that we are thankful for his brothers service.

Luke followed Adam as he walked the sidewalk taking it all in and crying.

It was an unforgettable day, not just for Adam, or me, but for our whole community.

I love small town America.

There was actually a news article written about this.  It is a wonderful article.  I will try to post the link here.
http://kpcw.org/post/heber-homecoming-adam-butler#stream/0

No comments: