My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

bling baby

A few weeks ago, as I was sitting at church, I noticed one of my friends holding her adorable baby girl, that was born the same week as Molly.

We talked a little and touched base with each other, but I my attention kept on going to her baby's earrings.  They were so cute!!!  I fleeting thought about getting Molly's ears pierced, but it was followed by some memories.

When Ben and I were first married, I worked at a kiosk in the Provo Mall selling shell necklaces.  The kiosk right next to mine was a jewelry shop.  They also did ear piercing.  I quickly made friends with the girls that worked there, and we spent most of our time talking.

I could not believe how many women brought in their little newborn baby's to get their ears pierced at that jewelry kiosk.  Being the young, childless, naïve person that I was, I immediately thought how terrible it was that these women would subject these baby's to this!  After the mothers would leave with their screaming babies, me, and the girls that worked there, would just cringe and feel so bad for the babies. I vowed that I would never, ever, get my baby's ears pierced.

It is amazing what time, and actually having kids of your own can do to a person's perspective.

As I sat there at church, thinking back on this silly little vow of mine, another thought crept in.

Molly is my last child.  She is the last baby girl I will ever have.  She is so dang cute, and I love to dress her up and relish in every baby girl thing I can possibly relish in, for the last time.  It would be so fun for her to have earrings, and so adorable!  I'm going to do it!  If Molly hates earrings, we can just take them out and let them grow back, no harm done.

And just like that, (and after talking with Ben) I decided to get Molly's ears pierced.

I called around and could not believe how expensive it was.  At least $60!!!  Forget that. I just let it go.

Then, I was in Walmart the other day, and I decided to ask the lady at the jewelry counter if she knew of anywhere in Heber that pierced ears.  She told me that they could do it right there for $20.  SWEET!

So, I quickly took a final picture of Molly's earing-less ears, and then we got her all ready.
Look at that edible chubby cheek!


The lady did her ears one at a time.  Molly just screeched with the first one, but did not cry.  With the second one, she cried for about 30 seconds, drank a little bottle, and within a minute or two, she was smiling at everyone and acting like nothing had happened at all.  It was nothing compared to what I remembered seeing when I worked at the Kiosk.  Few!

And then I looked at William.  He was half way hiding behind the counter, and his little chin was just quivering.

I asked him if he was ok, and he ran to me, buried his head into me, and started sobbing.  Between sobs he said, "Why did you let them hurt Molly?  They hurt my baby?  I don't like that.  I don't want Molly to be sad."

William was so worried about his baby sister, and he was just crushed that she was sad for just a few seconds.  The poor boy just couldn't pull himself together.

The ladies at the jewelry counter thought it was the most precious thing ever, and they joined in helping me help William.

On the drive home, as Molly was happily babbling and smiling away, William was constantly patting her hand or her head and saying, "Everything is alright Molly, you look so pretty."

Dang, I love my kids, and I love that they love each other.

Any yes, Molly looks adorable in her sparkly earrings!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog and learning about your family. Like you, said I'd never pierce my baby ears too...until I saw a baby girl no older than a month old in her mother's Moby wrap sleeping, head poked out wearing little pearl studs! My heart melted asked Rick and our pediatrician. She got little pearls too and looked like a little cherub. Think you are a smart mommy getting her ears pierced now when mommy can care for them.

I was a bit surprised, but our pediatrician recommended doing it under a year or six months if possible. She encouraged me to do it showing me a picture of her little girl with gold balls at 4 months. She gave me some tips for mom having their babies and little girls ears pierced.

There is nothing sweeter than a baby with pierced earrings. It makes them look so feminine and
ingénue. Our daughter is two now and is girlie-girl. She loves changing her earrings to match her dresses.

Any moms looking for more research on "to pierce or not to pierce," drop me an e-mail for our ped's suggestions.

Amyswor1765@gmail.com