My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Sunday, September 29, 2013

aweseomeness!

A few weeks ago, before the nausea kicked in, I decided that I needed to stop wishing to get out there, take a break, have some me time, and party with the ladies, and instead, take action.

For me, this is a big deal.  I am a total scaredy cat when it comes to hosting parties.  I am always afraid that no one will show up, it will be boring and awkward, or that people will just have a bad time for one reason or another. 

I love to go to parties though, and be invited to stuff. I am just usually not one to instigate these things.

This time though, I decided to take the plunge.  I posted my idea on a group on facebook, that the ladies in my neighborhood have all joined.  It is kind of like a neighborhood group, and it is awesome.

I mentioned that I was thinking of hosting a GNO, and wondering if anyone was interested.

The response was unbelievable!!!  There were over 45 women saying that they would love to have a GNO, and get to know more people in our new and ever growing neighborhood.   I was blown away, and a little overwhelmed with the response.

So, I set the date and went from there.

Once the date was set, it shortened the numbers.  There will never be a date that 45 women can all make it to, but I did my best.

The nausea hit a week before the party, so I decided to delegate.  I asked everyone to bring a treat and a game idea, and wear comfy clothes.  I would provide the house and a drink.

Friday came, the day of the party, and it was by far my worst nausea day so far, as you may know if you read my last post.  I was suffering and miserable all day.  I had planned to clean the house, go to the store, and get ready that day, while William was at preschool and Luke had a nap. Instead, I was too sick to take William to preschool, and Luke decided not to nap. I moped around, dry heaved, spit into a cup because of the horrible metal taste in my mouth,cried a lot, and tried to take care of my children in a nauseated stupor.  It was absolutely horrible.

My prenatal vitamins have always made me sick in the past.  On that particular day, I couldn't remember if I had taken one that morning, so I took another one.  I am pretty sure I had 2 that day, and I wanted to die.

Ben came home and absolutely saved me!  He deserves a gold star and a cupcake, in the very least.  He cleaned, took the kids, did a grocery store run, and helped me set up for the party. He did all this while I tried to choke down some sort of dinner, clean what I could,  and pull myself together.  I did what I could, but ended up having to lie down over and over again, just to try to stay alive, or so it felt.  I just wanted to go to sleep and be put out of my misery.

I finished moping the floor and setting up the tables, minutes before the party was to start.  It was close.

The first ladies showed up around 7:30, and by 8:30, I had a houseful of approx. 25 ladies, 2 tables full of every yummy treat imaginable, and the house was full of laughter, chatting, and fun.  I found myself forgetting my nausea, my misery and my horrible day.


I sat in the corner, squished between two very funny and talkative ladies, and I listened to them and observed my surroundings.  The house looked so adorable with all of the fall décor, and it was sparkling clean.  My favorite apple/cinnamon candle was burning my favorite smell. Every person there was smiling, talking, making a new friend or laughing.  We were in the middle of the game, and every few minutes we would all laugh ourselves into tears.  In that moment, I decided that it was all worth it, and I was so glad that I went through with it. 

The night ended up being an absolute blast!  The games were all very fun and turned out to be a highlight.  A lot of people were brave, and came not really knowing anyone. I met about 10 ladies that I didn't know before, that I now love and know will have friendships with.  I knew everyone else, but felt like I got to know them on a whole new level.  The conversation was also so welcoming.  A lot of people shared their own nausea stories and pregnancy stories.  I didn't feel so alone in my misery after that.  It was also so nice for all of us just to be able to talk to adults and other women. 

Sugar and prenatal vitamins make me the most sick, so unfortunately, I could only look at all the yummy treats on the table, but I know that there were some killer good treats, due to the reactions of a lot of people...including my own children who somehow ended up with treats upstairs. ;) Someone brought chocolate covered strawberries dipped in gourmet chocolate.  I caved and ate on of those.  It was one of the best things I have ever had in my life.  I was very sick for the next 30 minutes, but dang, it was good!

The party ended at 1:00am.  Yup, 1:00am people.

The last 2 hours were spent with about 7 of us just talking, bonding, laughing our guts out, and just basking in the moment, not wanting it to end.

The GNO was a huge success, and I will definitely be hosting another one.  Probably not any more during this pregnancy, but at least 1 or 2 a year. 

A lot of the ladies want to have one every month and rotate homes.  I really hope this was the start of something like that.  I would go every month I could, for sure!

It is amazing how a night out with the ladies, and a house full of friends, can refresh a persons heart and mind.  And for at least one nice evening, help you forget the horrible, terrible, nausea that plagues your body.

Sometimes it pays to step out of the bubble.



No comments: