My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Sunday, January 6, 2013

yup, it's 1:04am...

but I am wide awake and my adrenaline is pumping.

Luke had another mucus plug tonight. I think that should be made a swear word.  It makes me cringe every time I hear it. I am not sure if I mentioned what that was in the last post, so sorry if this is a repeat explanation.  It is where the mucus in the lung is so thick that it plugs an airway, and the air can't pass in or out of it, and the lung begins to collapse a little.  If it is a small airway, it can't be a major lung collapse, but still, it isn't good.  If it is a major airway that is blocked, it can be a full lung collapse.  So far, Luke's mucus plugs have been in the small airways, which is a blessing, I guess?? I am sure he would beg to differ.

Last time, Luke didn't get it out until he was blue and gray and in the ER. His lung did collapse a teeny tiny bit (as seen on the x-ray), but no lasting or permanent harm was done.  I am sure it doesn't feel to good for Luke though, and I know it didn't feel good at the time.

Tonight, Luke got it up here at home on his own, thank heavens.  It still terrifies me though.  I pray so hard that I will be awake, or wake up when this happens if I am asleep.  My prayers were answered tonight, as I woke up and heard the change in Luke's breathing, and saw his color change.

The respiratory therapist at the hospital told me what to do in case this "unfortunate event" happened again, so at least I knew what was happening this time.  I didn't ease my fear for Luke, but it did help me feel more in control of the situation.

Luke got it up on his own again though, before I had to do anything else, or take him to the ER.

He is now asleep propped up on the couch, with his oxygen turned up, getting his color back,  and I am sitting here all pumped full of adrenaline from the whole thing,  making a dang blog post in the wee hours of the morning.  Part of being a mom I guess. Oh well, it beats eating a gallon of ice cream and running in circles (which sounds so tempting at the moment).

The doctor said it will be a long road back to full health for Luke, and I am starting to believe it.  Although, I feel that with so many prayers and love being sent his way, God's hand can perform miracles and I think Luke will snap back faster than we all may realize.

He did actually sit up a few times today and play with his toys for about 5 minute chunks, before getting too tired.  It was nice to see him smile a little and inspect all of his things in the cute ways babies do.

Oh, and did I mention that he cut a tooth during all of this.  Oh yeah.  Cutting a tooth, pneumonia, double ear infections, and puking a ton.  Poor little guy. I am so glad he will not remember this when he is older.  BUT, Luke now sports two bottom chompers, and it is adorable.  He proudly showed the nurse his new tooth yesterday before we left the hospital. It was cute.

OK, adrenaline is wearing off, deep fatigue is setting in.  My pillow is calling. My oh my, pneumonia shumonia.

1 comment:

shaina said...

I've spent a lot of nights trying to sleep, while listening for breathing changes. It's so hard to be a mom sometimes. Prayers are with you.