My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Friday, April 12, 2013

pregnancy of a guinea pig

Meet Marshmallow..Marsha for short.
 
Marsha is one of three guinea pigs we have, and she is the only female.  That being said, do I even need to mention that she is pregnant???

 
Very pregnant.

 
About a week ago, I checked in on our guinea pigs after Mary told me that "Marsha was getting huge!"   Mary wasn't kidding.  Marsha looked like a marshmallow after being in the mircowave for a little while.
 
I took note of the nasty cage, the two other guinea pigs drinking all of the water and eating all of the food, and the poor female being subject to two very "excited" males.  And then I remembered how I feel when I am nine months pregnant.  My heart took pity on poor Marsha, and I took action.  Call it womanly instincts, but I knew that she needed to be alone, well fed, and comfortable. Good grief.
I was proud of myself when I researched and read that that is exactly what you should do for a pregnant guinea pig.  10 points for me. 
 
So, I put her in her own cage, stuck my tounge out at her overly excited male cage mates, brought her upstairs, gave her her own food and water, washed and cleaned her bedding, and made her as comfortable as possible.  The poor thing deserves at least that much.
 
We can feel the little babies wiggling around inside of her, and we know it is only a matter of days before the mini marshmallows make their debut.  We are all actually really excited for the big day.  Baby guinea pigs are one of the cutest things I have ever seen before.  They are just little poof balls.
 
I don't know how many are in there, but I do know that we cannot keep any more guinea pigs.  We will probably give away one of the male adults and a baby...we will see. They will be fun while we have them though.
 
Anyone want a new pet???

No comments: