My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Sunday, July 7, 2013

there are some things time and distance can't break

When we lived in Colorado Springs, we made some life long friends.  Some of who lived right next door.  "The good neighbors" as they are known to be, on the blog.

Moving from Colorado Springs was one of the most heart wrenching things in my life.  There were numerous hard goobyes, but saying goodbye to Mike, Mel and Tyler was the worst of all.  I felt like my heart was being torn.  We all did.  I remember praying over and over again that our friendship with them would survive the time and distance that was to come. 

And it has.

Mike and Mel came to visit us this week.  We were all so excited to see them, we were literally counting down the hours, and we were all standing outside to greet them as they pulled in.  Grins on everyone's faces.

We spent the next few days soaking in as much fun as we possibly could together.  We completely wore ourselves out, but our hearts are full.  This was the scene in our house the day they left.


We went to the 4th of July Parade in Park City.  That was a bit of a mess.  We got there late.  Had to park over a mile away and wait in line for a shuttle.  Some of our crew decided to walk to the parade in the heat.  We got separated from them for the rest of the time.  There was no candy at the parade, and it was HOT!  Not to mention the  hoards of people everywhere!  We learned our lesson for this little adventure.  Go early, or go home.

We came home, rested, and then headed off to the pool.  That turned out awesome!  It was not crowded at all, and we all had a great time.  Mike has pictures on his phone, and he couldn't transfer them over to met, so those will come later.  Luke surprised us by absolutely loving the water.  He would splash and splash and kick and kick, and just grin. 

Then it was home, a barbecue (thank you Mel!) and off to the firework show.  We parked away from the crowd, off on a country road, and it was perfect.  Our neighbors and friends, the Sweats, also joined in.  It was funny to hear the sheep baaaaaing, and the cows mooing between the pops of fireworks.  It was great.
Ben and Mike...kept us laughing constantly.


the crew

Tyler and Mary on top of the car, waiting for the firework show

Sam and Blake..two handsome fellas

the crazies


The kids all fell asleep on the way home, so we decided to postpone our own fireworks for the following.  It was a 4th of July well spent.

The next morning, Mel and I took Mary to gymnastics.  I think I mentioned in a post a while ago, that Mary is back in gymnastics here.  The time commitment and money are much better in Park City, so we decided to let her do it again.  Something pretty cool happened the day Mel and I were there, but that is for a later post.

We came home from Park City, grabbed the crew, and we all headed to Kneaders for lunch.  Can we say crab roll anyone???  Oh, my tummy was so happy.

Then, it was off to Bridal Veil falls, where the parents roasted and the kids had an absolute blast.
Again, Luke went crazy in the water.  It was freezing cold, and he just plopped right down in it and splashed away.  All of the kids had a great time.

this picture makes me smile every time I see it.  Pure bliss on his sweet face!

William the rock climber



the three stooges


William found a "slide."


William, the ladies man.  He attracted all of these little girls, and they just gushed over him...and fed him rocks.?.?

 
We drove straight from there to our famous little Heber ice cream shop, Dairy Keen.  I can guarantee you, there will never be a better milkshake made, than those made behind the doors of Dairy Keen.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough...triple the dough please.  Oh yeah!
 
And then it was time to blow some stuff up.  I admit, I am a bit of a pyro.  I love fire, I always have.  It started pouring right when I marched out onto the driveway with fireworks and matches in my hands.  We all joked that it was God's way of teasing me.  It happened three times in a row.
 
Finally, the rain let up, and the blasting began!  It did not disappoint.  Imagine my joy when I walked outside and saw this beauty sitting by the firework stash.  Thanks Mike!
Fireworks....the big kind.

Because of the rain, the first few fireworks smoked us all out.

I thought it was awesome, In fact, I started singing, "I set fire to the rain."

And then all was well from there.
 
 
 
the fire dance

Happy as a clam


 
The Fortin's left the next morning, and it stunk.  Our hearts were so heavy watching them drive away, but at the same time, they were so full.  I love true friendships.  The ones that withstand time, distance, and any other obstacle life may throw at them.  And we have that.  I am so grateful.  We are blessed.  I am so glad God gave us the Fortins.
Luke and Trevor, only a few weeks apart.
 
Friends forever

Best buds.

 
Love you Fortins... we will see you soon...when we are helping you move into your house in Heber.  ;)

No comments: