My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sugar Sunday

Ben and I have made a deal. We are calling it "Sugar Sunday."
We were talking about our new family goals, and one of them was a goal to be more healthy.
We are alreay on a very consistent work-out schedule, and have been for a few years now. We only eat out once a week, and we try to keep it somewhat healthy most of the time.

One new goal we made, is to do abs together. After I run my buns off for an hour and then do the elliptical (for those awesome flappy arms), I just don't have the energy to to abs right away, and then I forget to do them. Ben has a killer ab workout he does, and that I attempt to do sometimes, so we decided to do it together in the evenings. We can motivate eachother.

Or other goal is a big one.
It is a major weakness......SUGAR.


It is amazing how much a body can crave it, right after eating a good meal. It can almost make you foam at the mouth. uh, did I just say that?

Anyway...

We both are feeling happy about our current weight and fitness level, but there is always that last "layer" that can be so stubborn to burn off.

You know that one I am talking about. The one that hides the carved out chizzled muscles in a man or in my case, the pre-baby waist that once was. Yeah, THAT layer.

We have decided to call it the "sugar layer" because we are pretty sure that, in our case, sugar is the reason for its existence.

Ben and I both feel strongly that any diet that completely shuts out any food group, sugar or not, is not healthy and only ends with binging and unhealthy cravings...for us anyway. So we are giving ourselves one day a week to eat sugar...in moderation. Like a dessert or that pastry that I have been wanting to make. The rest of the week, we ignore the craving and find other alternatives, like liver or spinach from a can. Just kidding. But really, there are some good alternatives out there. I may even try some on the kids.

And no, you are not getting those sick before and after pictures with me in my skivies all slouched over and blubbery and stuff and then all fake computerized and sucking it in a month later. Nope, you get these cool, pictures of sugary food I found on the internet. Enjoy.

I have a little thing with Mary, where we usually bake something yummy on Sunday. We eat some and we try to find someone to give some to as well. She loves this and looks forward to it, so we decided that we would make Sunday the day that we will eat sugar. It will be Sugar Sunday.




So far, so good. All three days of it. Go us!

Here's to losing those last few stubborn pounds and shedding the "sugar layer."

4 comments:

The Hardy Things in Life said...

That is awesome!! Hope it works out!! My mom and dad have sugar sunday too, and through out the week to help with cravings they eat sugar free popsicles, it really does help!! Good luck!! So happy you got to see the Darrington's, I here they let you in on our little secret! We are so excited!!

Heather said...

I need to join you! Sugar is such a downfall for me and I know what you mean when you say you crave it even after a full meal. My 4 yr old daughter just came peaking over my shoulder and pointed to the picture of the brownie topped with ice cream and said "Mommy, I want some of that!" :) Yep, I guess we should get brave and try 'Sugar Sunday'.

Deanna said...

woooooooow. I wish I were strong like you. : /

You ROCK!

Colleen said...

Good luck! That is a great plan. I am sure you are going to do a fabulous job, as you are always so great about sticking to what you say you are going to do. Sugar definitely is a cycle, the more you eat it the more you want to eat it! I experience that first-hand every day. :)