As of this morning...Mary's room is complete! I had to do a little bit of touch up under the black stripe (the tape was not leak proof), but that was it, and now it is finished!
The picture didn't get the color very well, but the top 1/2 is light pink and the bottom 1/2 is dark pink. Oh, and her bed spread is black with white polka dots. The stripes on it are from the sun coming through her window.
This room does not come without a story. In fact, her room could have been complete, start to finish, in under three hours. Yup, thats right. But instead, it took almost a week.
The famous diva corner. This is where all of the accessories, purses, bags and make-up reside. The very last thing we have left to do in her room, aside from a rug, is a new lamp. I am on the lookout for a really cool pink lamp with black on it. I think Hobby Lobby has the winner.
Last Saturday I got the two different colors of pink done, and the black stripe in the middle of the room, in about 2 hours total. That black stripe took longer than both colors of pink did. It was tough! All we had left was the black border up by the ceiling. No prob. While Ben was measuring and marking where the tape needed to go, and I was following him with the tape, we looked down and saw the entire can of black paint spilled in a puddle on the carpet! The entire house has new carpet in it. It was put in right before we moved in. The house still smells of new carpet. We love it.
Ben and I both sat and stared in horror and then we went to work trying everything we could think of. We got a dry towel and soaked up all of the excess paint. Then we got out the paint thinner and started scrubbing. While we were scrubbing, our neighbor came over and offered her carpet cleaning vacuum. We brought that up, and it lessened the black color, but it spread the paint. We worked and worked and worked, and this is what we are left with.
The stain is much darker in person. The flash on my phone lightened it up a lot. (we are still using our phone cameras, because the computer that our camera hooks up to isn't working yet)
It really stinks. I am now hunting for a cute pink rug to cover this until we re-carpet it sometime. Probably when we carpet the guest room downstairs.
I had my surgery soon after the paint spill and then I have had to wait until I am well enough to finish the black border. So, it took almost a week to complete the room. I am still very sore from the surgery, but I was able to do a few minutes of touch up work this morning.
I can't believe that we have painted three other rooms without any spills, but when we get to the one room where we use black paint, we spill the entire can!
Oh well, what's done is done. A rug will look cute there, and no one will have to see it, but it sure bites to have a stain like that on new carpet. Ouch.
Aside from the stain, I love how her room turned out! It is adorable. Mary loves it too. She keeps thanking me over and over again. It matches her "diva in paris" theme perfectly. I even go in her room, just to be in there. It is a very fun room and it matches Mary's personality perfectly. Girly but sporty and spunky. Love it!
We also got all of the fall decor up this weekend! I had to do it all in slow motion, because of some pain, and it took me a lot of the day to do it, but it is done. Ben helped a lot as well. Fall is my absolute most favorite season, and my fall decorations are my favorite as well. I wanted to get everything up this weekend, because it makes me feel so happy and excited. It was the perfect post-surgery remedy. It makes the home look so warm and cozy and festive. Hooray for fall!
Next up, the boy's room. Buckle your seatbelts, this is bound to be a trip.