My Reasons

My Reasons

This Is Where It All Begins

This Is Where It All Begins

Monday, December 2, 2013

thankful for thanksgiving

Thanksgiving break came at a wonderful time for our family this year.

We have been really busy, in a good way, but we were all ready to just, well, to just be.

Due to being far from home for several Thanksgiving's, we came up with our own traditions, and it has actually become one of my favorite holidays because of it.  I can see it in my children as well, and that brings me joy.

We do Thanksgiving with relatives every other year, but on the off year, we just do it with our own family, and we really have a great time.

This year, we really lived it up.  My heart was full, and it has been the past month, as the spirit of the holidays has crept into my heart.  It has more than ever this year.  There are moments, when I feel like my heart could burst as I become overwhelmed with all of my blessings, the joy of the season, and the holiness of it all.

I have been made extremely aware, and extra sensitive to all I am blessed with, and that in turn, has truly made this one of the best holiday seasons for me so far. 

I don't know why this is the case, but it is, and I feel like I need to recognize it and enjoy it.  Enjoy the excitement, the magic, the wonder, the decorations, the music, the light in my Children's eyes, everything. This holiday season just seems so wonderful this year.

OK, back to the original post.

On Thanksgiving Day, Ben and the kids went rock climbing in the morning, and I started working on the food.

Ben helped stuff the turkey and get it ready.  We had the kids watch this year, because I could tell they were curious, and it will go down as one of the most hilarious Thanksgiving memories I have.  William was so grossed out, and just flabbergasted with the whole thing.  I got it all on video.

The kids, for some reason, loved the fact that we pulled out the China, and therefore, decided to act like very sophisticated servers. 
photo bombed by William picking his nose in the background. 

It was hilarious, but I worked my servers, and they did great!

We enjoyed the dinner, and read all of the leaves on our Thankful Tree we've been working on this month as we ate.  It was a precious moment.  Oh, and Luke actually ate!  I have to record that for sure.  Luke ate mashed potatoes, and a lot of them.  It was awesome!

We watched movies, went on a walk, and hung out the rest of the day.

Friday, Ben took Mary and Sam snow skiing, and I cleaned the house, and then shopped.  I had the babies with me, but they behaved really well, and it was really fun!  I absolutely love holiday shopping, and I had some great finds.  We had a good time getting William's hair cut, going to the animal store, buying presents for friends and family, me getting new running shoes (not so pleasant trying on shoes with 2 babies in tow), and singing carols in the car.  William is a great singer.

We met up with Ben and the older kids in Park City at the ski hill, where they were completely frozen, but so happy from "the best ski day yet." 

I am glad Ben initiates skiing with the kids.  It is a special thing for all of them. We hit up a few more stores, got dinner, and then headed back to Heber to get our Christmas tree.  The events of the tree are in the previous post.

Saturday, Ben took the kids to the park, and I went to the gym.  I almost died, due to "feasting" on too many pies the previous days, but it felt great.  Then, I shopped, by myself!  It was bliss.  I found an amazing sell and got some new outfits.  I rarely clothes shop, so this was so fun for me, and I REALLY needed some new clothes. 

When I got home, we hung out, Ben went to the gym, and then we all went swimming at the Kamas pool.  The kids did great, even Luke!  William figured out how to float in a lifejacket, and thought it was amazing.  Mary and Sam did the diving boards and slides, and I soaked in the hot tub ever second I could slip away.

After swimming, we got the kids all settled, and Ben and I went on a date.  I love going on dates with Ben, and the excitement of dates has not faded over time.

Sunday, we finally fixed our tree, and then had some friends over for pie and treats.  I wasn't too excited about hosting, after a big past few days, but I am so glad we did.  It was really fun! 

And now, here we are.  Back to school, sports, schedules, work, church activities and duties, and life.

And we are all refreshed and ready to jump in.

Our Thanksgiving break was wonderful.  It was not perfect.  There are always moments, tantrums, disagreements, frustrations, and stress.  But honestly, it was extremely refreshing, and so wonderful to just be with my family having fun and bonding closer.  The good times definitely outweighed the struggles.

I love this season.  I love my family.  I love that for whatever reason it is, I have been blessed this year to feel it all on a deeper level, and enjoy it so much.  I feel that I need to savor it, and that is exactly what I am doing.



No comments: